Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Work Blog 1

Today I am starting page 10 of my original graphic novel Little Knight. I get a giddy feeling every time I start sketching out a page. The possibility of the page is part of what makes me so excited, but also the fact that I am one step closer to having it done. I can't wait to read my comi, to hold a printed copy in my hands. Unfortunately that will be a long way off still.

I finished page 9 yesterday. I hit the point of worry that I often hit at the halfway point, and then when I was almost done with it I felt relief that it worked and was a successful and usable page. They all are usable and work and I am proud of all of them, but still I worry. I am glad I worry because that way I make sure I put the thought into it that is needed.

I did 6 thumbnails last night. My first steps to making a page. It took me about 8 hours to do them. I am not just laying out the pages, but deciding exactly how to tell it. The script I wrote is more like a screenplay. The beats are there but not the comic pages and panels. This way I do the pacing visually which works way better for me.

First step was to read my script and know what I needed to tell in the pages, and then I decided to walk around and listen to music, epic soundtrack stuff, and think. I did that for more than a hour and then come home and sketch some ideas. Nothing that was exactly what I needed but enough to get the old brain pumping. Then I would flip through some comics with great layouts, Darwynn Cooke, Copiel, Immomen, Risso, or talk to one of my artist friends. I talked to both Gabe and Cory last night, and almost called Wheat, just to have conversations about layout. It helped inspire. I am lucky to have good friends to talk to about things like that. After walking around for another hour or two, I came home, and laid out all six pages pretty easily. It may have looked like goofing off but the time was worth it. I bet the people on the streets of Brooklyn thought the almost 30 year old walking around occasionally posing as if he was casting magic or swinging a sword was crazy.

So now I have the pages I need to do for the next week all thumbnailed out and I am excited to work on them. Having a good layout only helps me get excited to work. I can't wait for the next week now.

1 comment:

  1. Its good to hear that someone else doesn't just sit there staring at paper to get motivated. And its also good to see someone getting excited to work some more! Usually i start optimistic and it kinda turns into worry until a particular part of the page starts to take shape and look good, then i get pumped! Anyways, good luck! Hopefully we can see some of these pages!

    ReplyDelete