Wednesday, March 23, 2011

Rocket Raccoon and Groot


Here's is Rocket Racoon, a sentient raccoon who likes to use "unfeasibly big guns".  He stands atop Groot, a sentient tree who can only say "I AM GROOT!" Plus it all takes place in SPACE! 

I've been wanting to draw Rocket Raccoon since I started reading "Guardians of the Galaxy," a great book from Marvel Comics. Recently there's been a series of backups called "Rocket Raccoon & Groot" which is a great idea and inspired me to finally draw Rocket. 

Since I was a kid I've wanted to draw a Rocket Raccoon comic, and while drawing it was fun to day dream what comic this was a cover to.

"Rocket Raccoon has a full life as one of the most decorated veterans of the Guardians of the Galaxy, so the last thing he needs is to be saddled with a rookie partner, Groot, a sentient tree recently freed from the evil Thanos. Training someone will be hard through the rumbles of an impending war, but Rocket is up to the task in this buddy-cop style adventure from Marvel's all ages line."


That book would write itself! Marvel does a good job with it's all-ages books, and their all ages Thor book was on of my favorite comics of last year.

Here is all the process of the drawing that started out as a sketch just for fun. 



And a version  that I almost like better with Rocket's original color scheme from the 80's. I feel like it pops him out a little more.

1 comment: